Biography of Private Joseph Arthur Carter (22883)
1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment
Died 22nd December 1917


  • Name: Joseph Arthur Carter
  • Date of birth: 1888
  • Place of Birth: Castle Bytham, Lincolnshire, England
  • Date of Birth Registration: April – June 1888
  • Place of Birth Registration: Bourne, Lincolnshire, England

  • Name: John Carter
  • DOB: 1841
  • Place of Birth: Pickworth, Lincolnshire, England
  • Occupation: Labourer

  • Name: Mary Wallhead
  • DOB: 1863
  • Place Of Birth: Castle Bytham, Lincolnshire, England
  • Marriage: 1881 Bourne District

Siblings: (Name), (DOB), (POB)

  • Mary Ann Carter, 1868, Leasingham Moor (Half sister)
  • John Carter, 1881, Castle Bytham
  • Joseph Arthur Carter, 1888, Castle Bytham

  • 1891: Arthur is living with his parents in New Street, Bourne, Lincolnshire
  • 1901: Arthur is living with his parents in Hereward Street,Bourne,  Lincolnshire
  • 1911: Arthur is living with his parents at 5 hereward Street, Bourne, Lincolnshire. The census gives him an age of 23 and he is listed as a printer compositor.
Relatives in services

  • None found

  • No marriage for Arthur has been found and because of his age we can assume that he never had the opportunity to marry.

Newspaper Mentions

  • War Office Weekly Casualty List January 29th 1918
    Carter 22883 J. A. (Bourne)

Military Records

Attestation Papers

  • Available
Soldier’s Died In The Great War

  • These records show that Private Joseph Arthur Carter, 22883,1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment was killed in action on 22nd December 1917 in the Western European Theatre in France and Flanders.

Pension Records

  • Available

Effects Left To

  • Mother Mary
  • Brother John


  • The British Medal
  • The Victory Medal


  • UK:
  • Bourne, Roll of Honour in Bourne Abbey Church
  • Bourne War Memorial in the Memorial Gardens


  • Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
  • In memory of Private Joseph Arthur Carter, 22883, 1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment who died on 22nd December 1917 age 30.
  • Son of John and Mary Carter, of 27, Hereward St., Bourne, Lincs.
  • Remembered with honour, Tincourt New British Cemetery
  • Grave III. G. 24.

© Picture taken by South Lincolnshire War Memorials

© Picture taken by South Lincolnshire War Memorials

Military Service Timeline

    Joseph (normally known as Arthur) was born in the spring of 1888 in Castle Bytham to John Carter, a brewery labourer and his wife Mary Wallhead.
    In 1891 the family were living at 8 New Street (original name for Hereward Street) in Bourne where John was working as a Brewery Labourer. 10 years later and they were living in Hereward Street where John is now working as a Brewery Cellerman.
    By 1911 the family were living at 27 Hereward Street, Bourne and Arthur was working as a compositor for a printers.
    Arthur enlisted to the army in Stamford on the 22nd February 1916 and was eventually mobilised on the 11th April 1916 and subsequently posted to the 9th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment for training. After 3 months Arthur was posted to France arriving at the Infantry Base Depot on the 24th July. Here he would have received extra training before being posted to the 1st Battalion on the 27th August.
    In May 1917 Arthur was admitted to hospital with an injury to the knee joint which was deemed not be be due to active service. He was posted as fit one month later and rejoined his Battalion.
    Arthur was granted leave between the 18th and the 30th November 1917 and after this once again joined his Battalion. He arrived just in time to entrain at Maroeiul at 11pm for Peronne and then they marched to Cartigny arriving there at 11am on the 1st December.
    The Battalion were held in readiness until the 6th December when they were moved to Heudecourt. On the 9th they went into the line around the railway embankment west of Villers Guisain, a village that was in enemy hands, to relieve the 15th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. At this time there were not connected lines here just a series of posts. Over the next few days they formed working parties at night to attempt to link up the posts.
    On the 12th after a couple of quiet days, the enemy shelled the advanced posts, killing one man and wounding 5 others. These were the first casualties of this tour.
    On December 15th the battalion diary reported that the day was quiet until about 5.30pm when the battalions position was shelled heavily, without causing any casualties. Two hours later a barrage was put up by our machine guns and artillery.
    Artillery activity was marked throughout the night, the enemy shelling the Battalion front and the railway embankment intermittently, our artillery retaliating spasmodically.
    December 16th only had one entry in the Battalion Diary, A quiet day, nothing noteworthy taking place.
    On the 17th things changed around 4am, the enemy raided the left front of the Battalion with a party of about 20 men. This post was held by a party of about 20 men of A company. The enemy made his way through a gap in our wire to the left of the post. The approach was made under cover of the extreme darkness and a snowstorm, and attacked the post from the flanks and the rear, throwing a number of hand grenades when close in. One of the grenades dropped in the post and wounded 6 men. A few of the enemy succeeded in forcing their way into the trench but were thrown out again immediately not however before they had captured two of our men whom they took back with them.
    In the evening the Battalion was relieved by the 1st East Yorks Regiment, relief being completed by 6pm. Shortly after D Company had left battalion HQ a number of shells burst in their vicinity causing 6 casualties, otherwise the relief was carried out undisturbed. On relief the battalion marched to Longavesnes.
    During this tour in the line the Battalion accomplished much good work. Existing posts and trenches were improved by being widened and deepened and making of firesteps, laying of trench boards and erection of shelters. New trenches were dug and the existing were strengthened and a number of dug outs were constructed behind the railway embankment. Severe weather prevailed throughout.
    The casualties sustained by the battalion during this spell in the line were 4 killed, 3 missing, 27 wounded, a total of 34.
    Arthur carter received a gun shot wound to the back, supposedly on the 16th December 1917, although certainly during this tour and later died of wounds on the 22nd December 1917 at a casualty clearing station around Tincourt.
    Private Joseph Arthur Carter 22883, 1st Bn., Lincolnshire Regiment died on 22 December 1917 Age 30. Son of John and Mary Carter, of 27, Hereward St., Bourne, Lincs. Remembered with honour Tincourt New British Cemetery.


    • WW1 Soldier’s Records (
    • British Newspaper Archive.
    • Fold 3
    • Find My Past
    • Genealogist
    • Forces War Records
    • British Army Service Numbers
    • War Gratuity Calculator
    • Commonwealth War Graves Commission
    • National Archives – Battalion War Diaries
    • General Registry Office